L’Oreal utilise AI and AR to accelerate innovation within beauty
In the company press release, L’Oréal reported that this acquisition was to accelerate their strategy to provide their 34 international brands ‘with the most innovative technologies in terms of services and beauty experiences.’
In the press release, the beauty company didn’t disclose the price they paid for Modiface.
L’Oréal ‘s Chief Digital Officer stated, ‘Modiface will support the reinvention of the beauty experience around innovative services to help our customers discover’.
Parham Arabi, Modiface’s Founder, said this acquisition ‘provides an incredible opportunity to innovate on beauty augment reality and artificial intelligence’.
In the FT’s report about this new acquisition, they highlight that L’Oréal have already begun to embrace AR and AI with the development of Make Up Genius. An app that lets users see themselves wearing products that have not been applied to their faces.
Another example of L’Oréal experimenting with AR is Kerastase launched ‘the world’s first smart hairbrush’. Watch the video to see how this smart hairbrush works:
Other companies that are expanding and experimenting with AI include:
– Startup company, Proven, uses deep learning and machine learning algorithms using millions of online testimonials of skincare product to create tailor-made products based on your individual profile
– Shiseido developed Optune an IoT skincare system, which uses algorithms to match skincare needs in real time by matching personal skin measurements with current enviromental data
– Perfect Corp‘s app YouCam uses face mapping technology for a ‘true-to life makeover’
– Estee Lauder launched a beauty app for Google Assistant offering personalised ‘skincare solutions and beauty techniques through voice-activation’
– Rimmel‘s ‘Get The Look’ app which allows users to “try on” someone’s make-up look using AR
These companies, along with L’Oreal, are setting the precedent that beauty companies need to experiment and utilise AI and AR in order to remain relevant and innovative